Tuesday 8 March 2016

Beautiful People: Joane

I was looking forward to Beautiful People this month. Actually I have every time, but not quite this much. I don't know why exactly. Maybe because I didn't know what else to do.

On Monday morning when I went to starting writing this, Cait hadn't put the questions up yet. I almost panicked. I hadn't though of what else to say. I came up with a few ideas I wasn't really excited about. Then I checked again, just in case it was there, and it was. So here we are.

PAPERFURY

Before I saw the questions, I had decided to do Joane, unless it was a special focus that didn't fit her. When I read the questions I almost changed my mind. Not all of them really fit her. But then I realized that I might be able to show off her character even better.

What first inspired this character? Is there a person/actor you based them off?


I was reading something about diversity in fiction and breaking stereotypes. I thought I ought to stick a few girls among my brigands. And quite a mixture of them. Tough girls, not just Maid Marian. I decided I wanted there to be one who lead the others, and was very bossy and not at all welcoming. A name sprung to mind, Joane Artyn. 
Ever since then she has grown in importance and changed somewhat. I think she is now one of the most dynamic characters in the book. And no, she isn't based off anyone. 

Describe their daily routine. 

Wake up, grab something to eat if there is anything. Go scouting to check nothing is wrong. Come back and give everyone else their commands. Either go hunting for food, or try to catch something, or rather someone else. Call everyone but the sentries in for practice. Eat supper. If Nylf is around talk big plans. Stare out into the darkness for a while before going to bed.

If they joined your local high school, what clique would they fit into?

There isn't a high school around where I live and I know very little about them. She would be a tough girl, with a group around her who look up to her, yet afraid of getting on her bad side. Or she'd be a drop out.

Write a list of things they merely tolerate. Ex: certain people, foods, circumstances in their lives…

Nobles, most men, weak people, being forced to get by in the woods, Wil, Aydel, Mim's superstitions, anyone who believes  the rumours of Lady Adlayda reappearing and saving them all.

How do they react in awkward silences?

By glaring at the other person and making them feel uncomfortable. Joane refuses to do awkward silences. If she doesn't quite feel comfortable about something she did, that's none of your business.

Can they swim? If so, how did they learn?

I'd never thought about swimming. I don't think that proper swimming is very common. Perhaps bathing at the rivers edge. Joane would be able to swim a bit though. Well enough to not drown when crossing a river. The rivers aren't all that deep though.

What is one major event that helped shape who they are?

Losing her mother. Or more the fact that she never knew her mother. Being brought up by an brigand certainly had a big affect on her.

What things do they value most in life?

Holding fast to her father's legacy and keeping promises.

Do they believe in giving other people second chances? Do they have any trust issues?

It depends on what they've done. If they broke a promise, never. If they were just unfortunate, maybe. 
No, she's never fully trusted anyone and hasn't had any problems from it so far.

Your character is having a rough day…what things do they do to make them happy again? Is there anyone they talk/interact with to get in a better mood?


Why do people think you need to be happy? If you're upset with someone, you just work them harder and they turn out better for it. Being angry brings energy, which gets things done.


Yes, Joane certainly has some problems. That's part of what makes her interesting. Besides, perfect people can't improve, brigand maids can, though She wouldn't agree. She wouldn't consider herself to be a beautiful person and she isn't exactly. Not in her outer personality at least, but deep down inside...

Well I don't want to spoil the story for you. Anyway I do have a picture for Joane. It's not perfect, but it does give an idea of her looks. Just imagine a quarter staff and leather padded armour.

I hope you enjoyed reading that as much as I did writing it. If you were hoping I was going to tell you how my new project is coming along, it is. Very slowly though. I still don't have names for characters but I have a whole lots of cool ideas. What do you think of having a wooden legged man who isn't a pirate or a beggar, but a naval captain? I rather fancy it. It's likely to be a very fine wooden leg given the setting.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I did love reading this!! And sorry BP went up a bit late this month...MY FAULT. I was a melon and completely overbooked my blog, ahem, but yayyy for enjoying it! That means a lot! :')
    Also Joane sounds awesome! Very tough and capable...I would probably be terrified of her IRL. (I am a weak thing. hehe.) And that's kind of cool that she isn't based off anyone and is just 100% your creation. *applauds you*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'n kind of scared of her myself. And though she is my creation it wasn't intentional, almost seems that she made herself.

      Delete
  2. Joane sounds like a pretty cool character. :) (Her name reminds me of Joan of Arc . . . was that intentional?)
    Also, "Joane refuses to do awkward silences." That amused me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't really intentional, maybe my subconscious associated them though. In some ways, Aydel, my main character is a bit more like Joan of Arc.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. please. I'd love to know what you think about my ramblings.