Sunday 31 July 2016

Bookania Interview with Maryanne



So as I mentioned in my last post, Kendra is having a party to celebrate five years since she published her first book. And as part of that party I got to interview one of her favourite characters, Maryanne. And I plunged into the questions without actually making sure with Kendra that she was available.

Welcome Maryanne, I'm Anna and Kendra's getting me to interview you on my blog. Let us begin. So, you're a princess, What's that actually like?

Kendra: Maryanne, get over here and use the computer like you're always asking too!
Let me go find her...

Nothing happened for a long time.

Kendra: All right. Finally tracked down Maryanne, hiding in a well of all places. That girl ... anyway, let me give the keyboard over to her.

"Ah, Hello! Guten Tag! Bonjour! Thank you so much for having me over to your blog. Blogs are so nice. I wish Kendra would let me have one, but she's grumpy. Anyway, you'd like to know what it's really like being a princess. Well, I'm not really sure I'm the best person to answer that question, for I'm not your typical princess, but I shall try my best.

My mother, for instance hated being a princess. I rather enjoy it. I think that mainly has to do with the fact that when she was a princess, princessing mostly involved dressing fancy, going to balls, and knowing your father was going to try to make a political match with you. I suppose that's still the case with most princesses, even these days, but I got lucky and have fun parents who let me go on adventures and talk to people about politics, stuff like that. Anything else you'd like to know?"


Well I wasn't asking about princesses in general. That sounds really fun. So, are you an only child?

"No, I'm the eldest of ... a number. Well, there's Peter, who does doctoring and then Bianca and Brianna, who are twins and like to confuse people."

I know twins like that. Do you think there are advantages to being the oldest? I'm a middle child myself.

"Well, I get to tell my younger siblings what to do and they'll usually listen. Though on that note, I'm also supposed to set an example, and that can be a pain. And then Peter gets it into his head that, because he's a doctor, he can boss me around. He doesn't approve of near-death experiences. I tell you, though, you haven't lived if you've never had a near-death experience."

A near death experience? *raises eyebrows* What did you do?

"A better question would be 'what haven't I done?'"

Tell me a bit about at least one thing.

"Well, there was the time that I fell off a cliff and was attacked by a wolf when I was ... younger. Love was with me that time. She didn't think it was very fun."

Who's Love?

"One of my cousins. Kendra says that you'll be meeting her in ... a book. She says it's not far from now. I say she needs to hurry up and write it."

Yes, she does. Along with a lot of other books.

"But she keeps distracting herself with Rizkaland. It's annoying."

I rather like Rizkaland. On the subject of other books, if you could live in any other world which one would you pick?

"Ooh. That world with Arthur in it. The one from the Merlin TV show. Sigh. It's been so long since I last dumped a bucket of water on his head..."

Okay... I could follow along that line, but I won't. How many fairy-godmother gifts do you have?

"Malina gave me the ability to pick up language very quickly and accurately - I can't learn a language wrong - and then each year on my birthday Fallona gifts me with the knowledge of a language in its entirety. This is a very painful process, so she she also gifted me with a lowered sensitivity to pain."

That's fascinating. I've never learnt more than a tiny bit of a second language.

"I speak more languages that I can count ... but since I can't count very high. By the way, I must ask, where are you from, because you have a wonderful accent."
I'm from a land called Australia and my accent is relatively subtle.(How could she pick up  my accent through text?) But we're not talking about me now. Do you have any hobbies? Other than finding adventures.

"I enjoy translating old books. So many old, forgotten languages for me to learn. I also collect knives."

Interesting, Aydel from one of my worlds, tries to collect knives, but she ends up losing them instead. Are knives you weapon of choice?

"They are, though I also enjoy the sword."

That's not surprising given the skill your parents have. So you don't tend to use a bow?

"I have some vision problems and I find the bow to be difficult. I can't be perfect, you know."

Of course not. People who are portrayed as perfect have no depth. Now, do you have any particular enemies?

"I'll admit that I've made enemies as well as friends during my adventures. Sometimes Love thinks she's my enemy. It can be funny."

Well, sometimes having enemies isn't a bad thing. It means you're doing something. I could come up with more questions, but this is probably enough. Is there anything you'd like to say to all the readers?

"Auf Wiedersehen , kann der Autor mit euch sein." (Goodbye. the Author be with you.)

Thank you for coming on.

"Thank you for having me."


So that is that. Head over to Kendra's blog to check out all the fun stuff there, and find your way to other character interviews.

Also check out the books that she has free today. The Woodcutter Quince, Will You Take This Quest, Tears, Frogs and Laughter, and Cinder Eddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. please. I'd love to know what you think about my ramblings.