Monday 2 January 2017

I'm a [Insert a dozen identity labels here]

Happy New Year everyone! I'm hoping 2017 will be an even better year than 2016, which was a pretty good year for me. I've got a bunch of changes happening with my writing and blog which I'll tell you about over the next few weeks. And now on with some ramblings about my own thoughts.



Identity is a funny thing. There's so many ways we say who we are. Simple ones, such as our names, hometown, or ethnic background. Complications of half a dozen fandoms and obscure references.

We want to know who we are to feel that we are known and loved. Or at least loved. Sometimes we fear being known. We put up a facade, take on a whole identity. Or even if we try to be honest, with online communications it's so easy to accidentally hide parts of yourself, or simply behave differently.

For myself, I find my ultimate identity in being a child of God, a follower, one of the redeemed ones.
Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— John 1:12
But I like to have more than that. I like to be able to introduce myself, by what I do, or what kind of person I am. But sometimes that doesn't seem enough. If I say I'm a writer people will ask me questions, I'm not ready to answer. I hedge or I pull out the latest interesting thing I've been involved in, even if it only takes a few hours occasionally.

And then there is the identity of labels. I used to think I hated labels, hated sticking people in boxes, but I've realized I do it still. I always have.

I don't like denominations, maybe because I don't really belong to one, and I don't like other theological differences. There's always so much nuance, and so many problems can be caused by assuming things about peoples beliefs. Yet I cling hard to the fact I was home-schooled, and that I live on the other side of the border to the city I'm often in.

Lately the label that I've noticed myself using is MBTI personality type. I'm always researching things about it, trying to figure myself out, and my friends, and the characters in my books. But I'm still not certain about myself. I'm wavering between two categories, and occasionally wonder if I've got it completely wrong.

But why do I worry? I used to think personality types were bunkum. I still believes there's a lot of variation between the types. And learning about it has helped me understand myself. I know much more about how I think, and due to other resources I'm a lot more certain about what I believe, what I'm afraid of and what I love. But still I want to know. Am I a slightly shy extrovert or actually and introvert? Do I fit into one of the boxes?

I'm not sure I ever will know. Maybe I'll never be able to say clearly what my occupation is. In fact I'm not sure I want that to be sure. I want to be doing lots of things. And I think I can live with this uncertainty now. I pray I'll be able to just let it go and be a person, not a jar. I'll just have to show who I am, instead of telling it.
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9
Now this is the identity we can be firm in. It's not just who we are, it's what we do. So if you don't feel like you fit into any denomination, cultural group or personality, just remember there's a lot more to who you are than [Australian, home-schooled, creationist, re-constructionist, sabbath-keeping-baptist, writer, Ninja, Legendaire and Resistance member] or whatever labels you use. It' so many little things that make you a unique creation of God.

3 comments:

  1. Great article! A person can have many labels, but our first foundation of identity ought to be found in God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! and defiantly something to think about. I think the only label that really matters is whether or not someone is a true child of God. Great reminder oh what we should be focusing on!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. please. I'd love to know what you think about my ramblings.